When beginners practice cross stitch for the first time, they prefer to choose and purchase basic kits only. For this, the beginner will only require scissors and a hoop. However, as they improve their stitching skills, they may want to try out small cross stitch patterns. Some necessary supplies for this kind of stitching include – Aida fabric, needles and floss. Read on to know how to choose necessary kits for your first cross stitch.
- Select Aida fabric of 11-count or 14-count – While you are learning the skills of cross stitching, it is advisable not to use dark shades since many experienced people have faced difficulty in stitching dark colors in the initial stage. So, it is better to look for Aida fabric that can be stitched easily by the beginners.
- Begin with a plastic hoop for the first project – There are various kinds of wooden or plastic hoops available for the beginners. When you begin stitching large designs, make sure you complete the stitching with a hoop.
- Select floss depending upon the quality – Floss is a great choice since they consist of a collection of commonly used colors. If you want to create your floss collection, then try to stick to a particular brand only. Although there are conversion charts available, by combining various shades from different brands, you may not be able to produce the most effective result.
- Use different kinds of needles – Needles are extremely important for any kind of stitching. When doing cross stitching, you will find that there are various kinds of needles in the kit which include – easy-thread needles, twin-tipped needles and needles that have special coatings. Once you start stitching, try to use 24 tapestry size needle for your 11-count Aida fabric and 26 size needle for 14-count Aida fabric.
- Two pairs of scissors are needed – You will require two pairs of scissors for cross stitching. The first pair of scissor can be used to cut the fabric and the second pair for cutting the floss. Make sure the scissors are sharp so that cutting can be done properly with them.
It is advisable that you shop around for cross stitch supplies at their best price, when doing it for the first-time. Select good quality product within your affordability to make cross stitching easier for you.